Dr. Daniel G. Van Slyke serves as Associate Professor of Theology at Holy Apostles College and Seminary. Dr. Van Slyke served as Holy Apostles’ dean of online learning during a period of expansion and growth until he turned to a full-time career in law in 2016. He holds a doctorate in historical theology from Saint Louis University, a license in sacred theology with a concentration in sacraments and sacred liturgy from Mundelein Seminary, and a masters in moral theology from the University of Dallas. He has extensive teaching experience both online and in the classroom with undergraduate students, graduate students, candidates for the permanent diaconate, and seminarians. He serves on the editorial boards of Antiphon: A Journal for Liturgical Renewal, Ephemerides Liturgicae, and Seminary Journal. Dr. Van Slyke lives in the Dallas-Ft Worth area of Texas with his wife and their seven children.
- J.D., Texas A&M University School of Law, Fort Worth, TX (20160)
- Ph.D., Historical Theology, Saint Louis University, St Louis, MO (2001)
- S.T.L., Systematic Theology, Mundelein Seminary, Mundelein, IL (2003)
- M.A., Moral Theology, University of Dallas, Irving, TX (1997)
- B.A., Philosophy and Christianity & Culture, St. Michael’s College, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ont. (1994)
- “Abstinence from Conjugal Relations Before Reception of the Body of Christ: A Brief History.” Antiphon: A Journal for Liturgical Renewal 20.2 (2016): 151-172.
- “The Study of Early Liturgy.” In The T&T Clark Companion to Liturgy. London: T&T Clark, 2013.
- “De unico baptismo contra Petilianum.” In The Oxford Guide to the Historical Reception of Augustine, ed. Karla Pollmann and Willemien Otten. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2013.
- “The Human Agents of Exorcism in the Early Christian Period: All Christians, Any Christians, or a Select Few Christians?” Antiphon: A Journal for Liturgical Renewal 16.3 (2012): 179-223.
- “Confirmation: A Sacrament in Search of a Theology?” New Blackfriars 92 (2011): 521-551.
- “Consecration to the Office of Acolyte: An Historical Perspective.” Usus Antiquior 2.2 (2011): 89-128.
- “The Priest as Confessor in The Priest, Minister of Divine Mercy.” Seminary Journal (Winter 2011): 37-50.
- “Toward a Definition of Blessings: Agents and Recipients of Blessings.” Antiphon: A Journal for Liturgical Renewal 15.1 (2011): 47-60.
- Liturgy 101: Sacraments and Sacramentals. Ligouri MO: Ligouri Press, 2010.
- “Marcellinus the Priest and Peter the Exorcist? The Ecclesiastical Orders of Two Martyrs in the Roman Canon.” Ephemerides Liturgicae 124 (2010): 449-462.
- “Despicere mundum et terrena: A Spiritual and Liturgical Motif in the Missale Romanum.” Usus Antiquior 1.1 (2010): 59-81.
- “The Ordo of Exorcist among the Latin Fathers: Reconsidered in Light of Martin of Tours.” Ephemerides Liturgicae 123 (2009): 357-379.
- Quodvultdeus of Carthage: The Apocalyptic Theology of a Roman African in Exile, Early Christian Studies 5. Sydney: St. Paul’s Publications, 2003.
- Associate Director, Catholic Distance Learning Network.
- Certified Program Director, Catholic Distance Learning Network.
- Fellow, St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology.
- Board of Consulters, Antiphon: A Journal for Liturgical Renewal.
- Board of Consulters, Ephemerides Liturgicae.
- Board of Consulters, Seminary Journal.