Phone: 860.632.3085 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Sebastian Mahfood, OP, Professor of Interdisciplinary Studies, serves as Vice-President of External Affairs and Governmental Compliance at Holy Apostles College & Seminary in Cromwell, CT, Provost of the Sacred Heart Institute for the Ongoing Formation of Clergy in Huntington, NY, and Director of the Catholic Distance Learning Network of the National Catholic Educational Association’s Seminary Department. He is a Lay Dominican of the Queen of the Holy Rosary Chapter in the Province of St. Albert the Great. He holds a doctorate in postcolonial literature and theory from Saint Louis University along with several master’s degrees in the fields of comparative literature, philosophy, theology, and educational technology. He lives in St. Louis with his wife, Dr. Stephanie Mahfood, and children, Alexander and Eva Ruth.
- Ph.D., St. Louis University, St. Louis, MO (2006)
- Master of Arts in Theology, Holy Apostles College & Seminary, Cromwell, CT (2013)
- Master of Educational Technology, Webster University, St. Louis, MO (2012)
- Master of Arts in Philosophy, Holy Apostles College & Seminary, Cromwell, CT (2009)
- Master of Arts in English Literature, University of Texas @ Arlington, Arlington, TX (1994)
- Bachelor of Arts in English and history, University of Texas @ Arlington, Arlington, TX (1992)
- Mahfood, S. and R. Chervin. Catholic Realism: a Framework for the Refutation of Atheism and the Evangelization of Atheists. Publication pending. 2014.
- Mahfood, S. “Cyber Chastity: The Moral Response to Interactive Pornography.” Social Justice Review Vol. 102, No. 9-10 (April 2012): 135-139.
- Mahfood, S., and P. Barbeau. “Emphasizing Relationality in Distance Learning: Looking toward Human and Spiritual Formation Online.” Seminary Journal, Vol. 17, No. 1 (Spring, 2012): 44-51.
- Mahfood, S. “Sexual Ontology.” Social Justice Review, Vol. 101, No. 5-6 (September-October, 2010): 147-150.
- Mahfood, S. “Inculturating Islam.” Social Justice Review, Vol. 101, No. 1-2 (January-February, 2010): 6-9.
- Henning, R., and S. Mahfood. “Opening the Reception Process: Distance Learning and the International Priest.” Seminary Journal, Vol. 15, No. 3 (Fall, 2009): 62-68.
- Mahfood, S. Radical Eschatologies: Embracing the Eschaton in the Work of Ngugi wa Thiong’o, Nuruddin Farah, and Ayi Kwei Armah. Koln, Germany: Lambert Academic Publishing, 2009.
- Catholic Distance Learning Network – Founder and coordinator of a 60-school initiative for the National Catholic Educational Association’s Seminary Department. 2006 – 2015.
- The Institute for Theological Encounter with Science and Technology (ITEST) http://www.faithscience.org/ – Board of Directors (2008). Secretary of the Board (2009-present).
- Association of Theological Schools Technology in Theological Education Group Steering Committee – founding member and chair from March 2008 to November 2012). Co-chair of Ethics Subcommittee (November 2012-present).
- Parresia Project, an enculturation network for missionary priests and seminarians http://www.parresiaproject.org/ (Associate Director – Summer 2009 – present)
- Seat of Wisdom: A Theological and Pastoral Journal hosted by Seminary of the Immaculate Conception http://www.seatofwisdomjournal.org/ Advisory Board Member (Spring 2010 – present).
- Aquinas Institute of Theology. Member of Board of Trustees and of the Academic Advancement Committee of the BoT (Summer 2011 – present).
- Seminary Journal, a journal of the National Catholic Educational Association’s Seminary Department. Copy editor (August 2011 – November 2012). Assistant Editor (November 2012 – August 2013). Associate Editor (August 2013 – August 2014). General Editor (August 2014 – present).
- Lay Dominican of the Central Province of St. Albert the Great. Chapter Vice-Moderator (June 2010-May 2013). Provincial Council Delegate (June 2010-May 2013). Chapter Moderator (June 2013 – present).
- Sacred Heart Institute http://www.cor-jesu.org Provost for Online Continuing Education Programs for the priests and deacons of the dioceses of New York (June 2013 – present)
- Council of Distance Learning Directors in Theological Education, a U.S., Canadian and Australian initiative devoted to the advancement of distance learning in theological education. Formation Chair (October 2013-April 2014); Senior Chair (April 2014-present)